This postcard, of St. Paul’s Greek Orthodox Church in Savannah, Georgia, is from 1914, seven years after the parish acquired the church building. The Greek Orthodox community in Savannah didn’t have a name yet, but they purchased St. Paul’s Episcopal Church and decided that, hey, St. Paul is Orthodox, so let’s go with that. Also, this is one of the first documented instances of an Orthodox church with pews. The often-repeated story, … Keep Reading ›
Construction of the bell tower of Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Cathedral in Chicago in 1905. The photo is from the Chicago Daily News and was found on the Library of Congress website.