“Save Me Whether I Want It or Not”

fall-at-ditman-lane-009.jpg

A Prayer to Our Lord Jesus Christ

My most merciful and all-merciful God, O Lord Jesus Christ! In Thy great love, Thou didst come down and become flesh in order to save all. Again, I pray Thee, save me by Grace! If Thou shouldst save me because of my deeds, it would not be a gift, but merely a duty. Truly, Thou aboundest in graciousness and art inexpressibly merciful! Thou hast said, O my Christ: “He who believes in me shall live and never see death.” If faith in Thee saves the desperate, behold: I believe! Save me, for Thou art my God and my Maker. May my faith replace my deeds, O my God, for Thou wilt find no deeds to justify me. May my faith be sufficient for all. May it answer for me; may it justify me; may it make me a partaker of Thine eternal glory; and may Satan not seize me, O Word, and boast that He has torn me from Thy hand and fold. O Christ my Savior: save me whether I want it or not! Come quickly, hurry, for I perish! Thou art my God from my mother’s womb. Grant, O Lord, that I may now love Thee as once I loved sin, and that I may labor for Thee without laziness as once I labored for Satan the deceiver. Even more, I will labor for Thee, my Lord and God Jesus Christ, all the days of my life, now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen.

From the Morning Prayers

Comments

1. Dave Wells says

Father, a beautiful prayer – as well as a rejoinder to our evangelical Protestant neighbors who think that Orthodox and Catholics believe in “works righteousness”. Thank you for sharing it!

2. Fr Stephen says

I do not know the history of this prayer. It may very well have had some influence from Protestant concerns (not unusual in the past few centuries) but this in no way makes the prayer less Orthodox.

3. Jim N. says

The first time my wife and I used a prayer book with the prayer, we were both so struck by it! What a cry of desperation ‘…make haste, quick, quick! For I perish…’ and so close to home by the time Friday morning rolls around. :)

4. Edee says

I have been praying for the first time (started 3 years ago when I lost my parent within 30 days to the day of each other)..understand I now am looking to be save because I beleive we are in the end of days..I always beleived in the LORD always always always..AND my voice I know goes up to him every time I cry out..Now would you please guide me further???

5. Michelle says

“Grant, O Lord, that I may now love Thee”

What a relief, to be able to ask God for help in order to love Him, instead of trying to manufacture feelings of loving Him!

Thank you for writing this blog. My new godmother (I’m a catechumen) introduced me to it recently, and as you can see I’m going right back to the beginning of it. I’ll try not to gobble it up too quickly, but savour it slowly and thoughtfully. :D Father, bless!

6. says

I was looking for a way to redeem myself but can’t quite do it..
    these prayer help me do so. I love Jesus but i have one big weakness
    . Plz pray for me all. And thanks for these beautiful prayer.

7. Zoe says

Thank you, Father Stephen for posting this prayer and thank you Nehemiah for directing me to this old post of Father Stephen. I need this kind of prayer too. I will pray for you and for all. Pray for me also, a sinner.

8. Danny says

Jesus teach us how to pray. It´s so simple and it contains everything we need to tell God. You don´t have to ´´make´´ and ´´offer´´. I pray God for my needs, and I use His pattern. It´s THAT simple.

9. Angie says

I need Jesus now, to save me from crashing down and making another mistake in my life. I give Him all my free will, coz what i want may not be what i need, what is good in my eyes may not be good in His for me .. 2 more days, please pray for me father, let our Father’s will be done on earth in my life as done in heaven, amin.

10. pauljohn says

Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for saving me today and let it be everyday so now Ill pray this wonderful prayer. thank you Lord…
    pls pray ” Save me Whether I Want it or Not”By Fr.Stephen. Lord Jesus Christ Help us…… you are Our Savior and Our Provider let them know you were there all the time… We need you in our life.

11. leo zach says

I don’t believe in the afterlife and God as is in this day and age. Nonetheless, I love Jesus for what He was and hopefully for what He will be (when the current universe is long gone and a new one is created). He is missing from my life, I wish I could be near Him!